The aim of this project is to image, digitize and quality control historical Paraná-Uruguay River hydrometric data that go back as far as 1875. The main focus of this project is on water level data from gauges located in the lower stretches of the Paraná-Uruguay River system (southeastern South America). Since these gauges drain large basins (365,000 to 2,500,000 square km), their water level data provide valuable information on hydroclimate variability at sub-continental scales. Historical rating curves are obtained and used to convert historical water levels into river discharges.
We are also rescuing pre-1950 meteorological data that were found in some ports of the Paraná and Uruguay Rivers.
Publications, data sets and conference presentations:
- Antico, A., Mendizabal, S., Ferreira, L. J., Aguiar, R. O., & Amsler, M. L (2020). Addendum to "Hydrometric Data Rescue in the Paraná River Basin" by Andrés Antico, Ricardo O. Aguiar, and Mario L. Amsler. Water Resources Research. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019WR026654
- Antico, A., Mendizabal, S., Ferreira, L. J., Aguiar, R. O., & Amsler, M. L. (2019). Improved Paraná River hydrometric data from 1875 to 1883. PANGAEA. https://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.906056
- Antico, A., Aguiar, R. O., & Amsler, M. L. (2018). Hydrometric data rescue in the Paraná River basin. Water Resources Research, 54. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017WR020897
- Antico, A., Aguiar R. O., & Amsler M. L (2018). Rescate de datos hidrométricos históricos del río Paraná: su importancia en estudios hidroclimáticos. Ojo del Cóndor, 9. Available at http://www.ign.gob.ar/AreaServicios/Publicaciones/RevistaOjoCondor
- Antico, A., Aguiar, R. O., & Amsler, M. L. (2017). Paraná River hydrometric data from Rosario City, Argentina: 1875 to 2017. PANGAEA. https://doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.882613
- Antico, A., Aguiar R. O., & Amsler M. L. (2017). Rescue of Paraná River hydrometric data. Poster in C3S Data Rescue Workshop & 10th ACRE Meeting, Auckland, New Zealand. Available at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andres_Antico2